|Scope & Content||
This is a black and white postcard depicting the old St. Joseph Church, located on the corner of Messer Street and Lyford Street in Laconia, in the early 1900s.
In the foreground is a dirt covered Messer Street ,which proceeds across the image from the far left to the far right, with Lyford Street off the picture on the far left. There is a sidewalk bordering Messer Street. In the foreground on the far left is a bunch of bushes, plants and long grass as well as trees. In the center middleground is utility pole. There is another utility pole farther in the background on the far left. To the right is a dirt driveway. In the center background is the old St. Joseph's Church. The church has a walkway leading up to the two sets of steps which lead to the two entrances on the front, facing Messer Street. The church has a large steeple on the right front side and a smaller tower on the left front side. There are decorative windows along the front and sides of the church. There is part of a stonewall near the left front side of the church and walkway. The church was built in 1877-1881 and replaced a similar one built in 1867-1869 which burned down in 1877. The church was torn down in 1934 after St. Joseph Parish dedicated its new church located on Church Street in Laconia on September 12, 1930. In the far background on the far right are additional trees. On the front is written "Old Catholic Church corner of Messer and Lyford Streets". On the back is printed "Post Card", and "The address to be written on this side." as well as "Place 1-Cent Stamp Here". Writen on the back is "Foss Collection".
|Title||"Old Catholic Church corner of Messer and Lyford Street".|
|Related Publications||"Laconia", Images of America Series, by Warren Huse, Page 120. Notation states : " The St. Joseph Church c. 1900. This building, constructed in 1877-1881, replaced a similar edifice built in 1867-1869 which burned in 1877. At the corner of Lyford Street (left) and Messer, the site is now a vacant lot. The church was torn down in 1934 after St. Joseph Parish dedicated its new church on Church Street on September 12, 1930."|
|Repository||From the collections of Laconia Public Library|
St. Joseph's Church
St. Joseph's Parish
Religious architectural elements
Architectural decorations & ornaments