Lakes Region History Online
Laconia Historical & Museum Society

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number L1990.0009.I.0006
Object Name Program
Scope & Content This is a program for the observance of the St. Joseph Church Centennial in Laconia on December 12, 1971.

The cover of the program is green and the interior pages are tan colored. On the front cover is a photograph of St. Joseph's Catholic Church. In the picture, Church Street is in the foreground with a sidewalk bordering it. In the center middleground is St. Joseph's Church with a walkway leading from the sidewalk up to the main entrance on the front. The main entrance has double doors and a large decorative window above it. The church has a large square tower on the left front side, decorated with crosses along the top. The church was built in the late 1920s of granite with limestone trim. It was dedicated on September 12, 1930 by Bishop George A. Guertin, Bishop of Manchester. There are trees to the right of the church with additional ones in the far background on the far left. Below the photograph is printed "St. Joseph Church, Centennial, December 12, 1971."

Inside the first page states :

" The Most Rev. Ernest J. Primeau, S.T.D., Bishop of Manchester". There is a sketch of a coat of arms above it with lettering inside stating "Veritas-Unitas-Pax".

The second page states :

"Chief Celebrant - Most Rev. Ernest J. Primeau

Concelebrants :
Rev. Msgr., Thomas S. Hansberry, V.G.
Rev. J. Desmond O'Connor
Rev. Msgr., George D. Chicoine
Rev. James P. Maloney

Master of Ceremonies :
Rev. Msgr., Robert E. Mulvee
Rev. William P. Neiman

Lectors :
Mrs. Nancy Bryant
Dr. Roland Leahy

Bearers of Gifts :
Mrs. Earl J. Gage
Mr. and Mrs. Raymond W. Richards

Organist and Choir Director :
Mrs. Dorothy Flower

The thirds page states :

"Consecration of an Altar" and lists :
Part I- Blessing of the Altar with statements for the Bishop and congregation.
Part II - Psalm 42, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

The fourth page states :

Continuation of Part II, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

Part III- Buriel of the Relics, with statements for Bishop, Congregation and Antiphons.

The fifth pages states :

Continuation of Part III and start of Part IV- Consecration of an Altar, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

The sixth page states :
Continuation of Part IV, Psalm 44, and start of Part V with statemensts for the Bishop and congregation.

The seventh page states :
Continuation of Part V with Antiphons and start of Part VI, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

The eighth page states :
Continuation of Part VI and start of Part VII, with statements and directions for the Bishop, Deacon and congregation.

The ninth page states :
Continuation of Part VII and start of Part VIII, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

The tenth pages states :
Continuation of Part VIII and Mass - Third Sunday of Advent Liturgy of the Word, with statements for the Lector and congregation.

The eleventh page states :
Continuation of Mass, with statements for the Lector, Celebrant and congregation, and Profession of Faith.

The twelth page states :
Continuation of Profession of Faith and Intercessions in Behalf of St. Joseph Parish Centennial and Dedication, with statements for the Celebrant and congregation.

The thirteenth page states :
Continuation of Intercessions and Prayer Over the Gifts, with statements for the Celebrant and congregation, the Special Preface, Memorial Acclamation and Concluding Acclamation.

The fourteenth pages states :
Continuation of Concluding Acclamation, Breaking of Bread, Communion Prayer, Prayer After Communion, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

The fifteenth pages states :
Blessing, with statements for the Bishop and congregation.

The sixteenth pages states :
Pastors of St. Joseph Church :
The Reverends :
John W. Murphy - 1871-1872
Michael J. Goodwin - 1872-1877
John L. Schakers - 1877-1895
John R. Power - 1895-1898
Charles R. Hennon - 1899-1914
James F. Creeden - 1915-1926
Thomas Redden - 1926-1944
John W. Sliney - 1945-1956
John J. Boyd - 1957-1966
J. Desmond O'Connor - 1966

Historical Sketch of St. Joseph Church and Parish, Laconia, N.H., describing its history.




Title "Saint Joseph Church Centennial , December 12, 1971"
Earliest Date 1971.0
Latest Date 1971.0
Date December 12, 1971
Additional Information 0.0
Repository From the collections of Laconia Public Library
People Primeau, Rev. Ernest J.
Hansberry, Thomas S.
O'Connor, Rev. Desmond J.
Chicoine, George
Maloney, James P.
Mulvee, Robert E.
Neiman, William P.
Bryant, Mrs. Nancy
Leahy, Dr. Roland
Gage, Earl J.
Gage, Mrs. Earl J.
Richards, Mrs. Raymond W.
Flower, Dorothy
Murphy, John W.
Goodwin,Michael J.
Schakers, John L.
Power, Reverand John R.
Hennon, Charles R.
Hennon, Father
Creeden, James F.
Redden, Thomas
Sliney, John W.
Boyd, John J.
O'Connor, Rev. Desmond J.
Search Terms Laconia
Church Street
St. Joseph's Church
Subjects 1970s
Buildings
Churches
Religion
Religious buildings
Religious facilities
Catholic churches
Parishes
Catholicism
Celebrations
Centennial celebrations
Photographs
Buildings
Ceremonies
History
Statements
Communion
Pages ( Books)
Bishops
Reverends
Congregations
Psalms
Deacons
Mass, Catholic
Doctors
Consecration of churches
Blessings
Programs
Covers (Illustration)
Streets
Coats of arms
Master of Ceremonies
Trees
Doors & doorways
Doorways
Entrances
Walkways
Crosses
Towers