|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
This black and white stereograph depicts the interior of the South Baptist Church, originally known as the First Free Will Baptist Church, located on Court Street in Laconia in the late 1800s to early 1900s.
In the foreground are several rows of wooden church pews, with a center aisle between them. The aisle has a rug on it and proceeds into the center middleground. In the center middleground is a large two tiered light fixture hanging from the ceiling. In the center background is a long wooden raised section with chairs in back of it. There are two light fixtures at the far right and far left end of the section. There are steps on both ends of the section as well. In the center far background is the large church organ. On the walls along the back are decorative wooden sections. The ceiling has decorative plaster sections as well. The South Baptist Church was established in 1838 by Reverend Nahum Brooks. The church was originally called the First Free Baptist Church. The original church burned in the 1870s and was rebuilt in 1878. On the back is written "Lac. Congregational ch. after 1872 remodeling. _____ for auditorium. ( Above label is wrong; this is audience room of First Free Will Baptist Church after enlarged and renovated in 1873, burned 1876. Mrs. A.D. Smith was wife of one of the pastors. The church is now South Baptist Church)." Also written on the back is "Mrs. A. D. Smith".
|Place||Court Street, Laconia|
|Repository||From the collections of Laconia Public Library|
South Baptist Church
First Free Baptist Church
Religious architectural elements
Architectural decorations & ornaments