Lakes Region History Online
Laconia Historical & Museum Society

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number L1978.0001.0053
Object Name Print, Photographic
Description This black and white photograph depicts the Old Corner Store owned by James H. Tilton (later the John Parker Smith Corner Store) located on the south side of the intersection of Main Street and Union Avenue.

The building is 2 1/2 stories with gable roof running perpendicularly to the main street. The roof appears to be sheathed in wooden shingles and has three brick chimneys, one at the west end of the structure and two at the east, set down from the ridge. The building is sheathed on the north facade in lightly painted clapboards and with white painted brick facing on the east facade. The windows on the north facade are 12/8 on the second floor and 2/2 on the first. There is a large billboard on the corner of the building for "Her Evil Genus" with something pinned up over it. There is an open porch on the first floor of the east facade. The first floor windows are 2/2, the second 8/8 or 6/6 (most are covered by closed louvered shutters), and the third are 6/6 on either side of a 1/2 round attic ventilator window. "Main St" and "Court St" are painted on the corner of the porch roof. The building has dark trim and white painted window sashes.
There is a horse and wagon parked on the sidewalk at the southeast corner of the building. Two men stand on the porch behind him dressed in lightly colored hats with flat tops, bow ties, white shirts, dark vests and trousers. Behind them one can see large circular objects stacked against the side of the building and a chair. The building is approached by a single step. A man with moustache, apron, narrow tie, white shirt, and dark trousers stands at the top of the steps. Next to the open door of the structure one can see a large grain (?) bag and several barrels with packages set on them. Two young boys sit on the steps at the north (right) side of the porch.
There is a sidewalk in front of the building with three hitching posts along it. The building itself appears to have an ell at the back that connects to a large 2 story store house.
At the left margin one can see a fenced yard belonging to a 2 1/2 story dwelling with attached ell on the west side. There is a maple tree at the margin.
"The Tilton Store - Corner Court St." is handwritten in the lower margin of the recto in black ink. Handwritten on the verso in pencil is: "3 col / Sat / p5 / Old Corner Store," possibly in reference to a publication of this image.
Title "The Tilton Store - Corner Court St."
Collection Jewett Collection
Earliest Date 1885
Latest Date 1890
Place Main Street- South
History of Ownership Gift of Theo Jewett, 1978.

Repository From the collections of Laconia Public Library
People Tilton, James H.
Unknown Man
Unknown Boy
Search Terms Main Street
Court Street
Smith, John Parker Corner Store
Tilton, James H. Store
Subjects 1870s
1880s
Advertisements
Advertising
Aprons
Architectural details
Architectural elements
Architecture
Bags
Barns
Barrels
Billboard posters
Billboards
Boys
Buildings
Business & finance
Children
Chimneys
Clothing & dress
Columns
Commerce
Commercial buildings
Dry goods stores
Dwellings
Fences
Goods transportation
Grocers
Grocery stores
Harnesses
Hats
Horses
Houses
Maples
Men
Moustaches
Porches
Posters
Posts, Hitching
Residences
Shirts
Shoes
Shops
Shutters
Sitting
Stairs
Standing
Storage facilities
Store windows
Storefronts
Storehouses
Stores & shops
Street signs
Streets
Suits (Clothing)
Ties (Neckwear)
Trees
Trousers
Vehicles
Ventilation
Vests
Wagons