|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
This black and white photograph depicts the old Belknap Savings Bank Building located on Main Street in Bank Square in Laconia in the late 1800s.
In the foreground is Main Street which proceeds from the far left across to the far right. There is snow on the street and ground indicating it is winter. In the center middleground is the Belknap Savings Bank Building and Central House. There is a wooden fence on the left by the sidewalk bordering Main Street. The Belknap Savings Bank is on the far left side of the building with a sign on the side stating "Belknap Savings Bank". There is a main entrance on the front with a sign above it stating "Central House". There are four men and one woman standing on the sidewalk in front of the building. The men are wearing dark suits and jackets and the woman is wearing a long dark dress and white apron. The building is brick with dormers across the top . There are two chimneys on the roof. There is a large tree on the far left. Written below the picture is " Old Bank Building, Main Street now a part of Eagle Hotel." On the back is written : "Old Belknap Savings Bank, 1863 later part of Eagle Hotel (F.W. Woolworth site, 1963)".
|Place||Main Street, Laconia|
"Laconia", Images of America Series, by Warren Huse, page 27.
Notation states : "The Belknap Savings Bank and Central House, c. 1872, after the gabled roof replaced the original flat one. Located on the current site of the Sundial Shop, this building dates from 1831. Later, much expanded, the structure housed the Eagle Hotel, and was torn down in 1937 to make way for the new F.W. Woolworth store, which later became Benjamin's Clothing, and eventually the Sundial Shop."
|Repository||From the collections of Laconia Public Library|
Belknap Savings Bank
Men & women
Doors & doorways