|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
This black and white stereograph depicts the South Baptist Church, originally called the Free Will Baptist Church, located on Court Street in Laconia in the late 1800s.
In the foreground is Court Street. There is a sidewalk bordering Court Street and a stonewall on the right. In the center middleground is the South Baptist Church which was established in 1838 by Reverend Nahum Brooks. The church was originally called the First Free Baptist Church. The building depicted here burned down in the 1870s. It was rebuilt in 1878. The church here has a tall steeple on the front facing Court Street and the main entrance is on the front as well. There are long windows along the sides and on each side of the doors on the front. On the far left side of the church is a low wooden fence and beyond it a house. There are additional houses in the background on the right behind the church. On the back is written " Freewill Baptist Church, erected, 1841, remodeled & enlarged, 1873, burned, 1876."
|Place||Court Street, Laconia|
"Laconia", Images of America Series, by Warren Huse, page 17.
Notation states : "The First Free Baptist Church building, as expanded, 1873. It was destroyed by an arsonist three years later."
|Repository||From the collections of Laconia Public Library|
South Baptist Church
First Free Baptist Church
Religious architectural elements
Doors & doorways
Architectural decorations & ornaments