|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
This black and white photograph depicts the Pitman House located on North Main Street in Laconia in winter in the early 1900s.
In the foreground on the far left is a tree with a sign on it stating " School Slow Down" . Beyond this is a wooden picket fence proceeding from left to right.There is a sidewalk beside the fence. There are trees behind the fence on the grounds surrounding the Pitman House. The Pitman House sits in the middleground on the left. There is a large barn in back of the house on the right. The house, grounds,and trees are all snow covered indicating it is winter. Joseph P. Pitman came to Laconia around 1830 and began building the mercantile business, Pitman Hardware, which was located on Main Street in Laconia. He later founded the Pitman Manufacturing Company in 1868, which manufactured knit goods. The lot later became the site of the Forestry Building. On the back is written " Pitman House, now Forestry Bldg."
|Place||North Main Street, Laconia|
|Related Publications||"Laconia: Images of America Series", by Warren Huse, Page 125.|
|Repository||From the collections of Laconia Public Library|
Pitman, Joseph Prescott
North Main Street